University Administrative Policies


UNM_Policy_Office-L communicates important policy announcements (such as policy approvals, revisions, or campus review-and-comment periods).

UNM Policy Office

MSC05 3357
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131

Physical Location:
Scholes Hall
114 A and B

Phone: (505) 277-2069

Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual - Policy 6250: Vending Machines

Date Originally Issued: 07-01-1994
Revised: 08-02-2004, 10-29-2018

Authorized by RPM 3.1 ("Responsibilities of the President")

Process Owner: Associate Vice President for Institutional Support Services

1. General

The University of New Mexico Dining and Food Services is the liaison between the University and the contractors that operate the vending machines on the main, north, and south campuses, except the University Hospital. Product mix decisions have been ultimately reserved for the vending contractors; however, suggestions for product changes may be forwarded to the Snack and Beverage Contract Administrator. Other persons, firms, or University departments may not furnish vendible food, beverage, or other products on campus. All coin operated machines not owned by the University are subject to UAP 6040 ("Commercially Owned and Operated Equipment on University Property").

1.1. Vending machines are coin and credit card operated machines that dispense a variety of products or services. Vendible products include, but are not limited to snacks, beverages, and other items agreed upon by Dining and Food Services. This policy does not apply to copy machines.

2. Receipts

All receipts from campus vending operations belong to the vendor. The University receiverevenue based on a commission schedule. Individual departments and student organizations cannot receive a share of vending commissions.

3. Requests

Departments wishing to suggest changes in campus vending machine locations should contact Dining and Food Services. Location feasibility must be mutually agreeable with the vending contractor based on available research, projected usage, proximity to other facilities, recommendations from the dean, director, or department head responsible for the location, and other available information.

3.1. Departments may not contract with alternate vendors for installation of vending machines. The University Purchasing Department is responsible for awarding the exclusive campus-wide vending contract to the successful bidder.

4. Services

Departments should report problems and complaints directly to Dining and Food Services in accordance with the instructions posted on the equipment. Recurring problems should be reported in writing to Dining and Food Services and the issue will be escalated to the vending machine contractors for resolution.

4.1. Refunds

Refunds may be obtained through Dining and Food Services by following the instructions posted on the equipment. Further assistance may be obtained by contacting the vending contractor.